Functions of kidney :
1. Excretion : Kidneys pass out metabolic waste products.
2. Regulation of pH value : Kidneys help in the removal of excess of acids from the blood and thus help in regulating pH value.
3. Osmoregulation : Kidneys help in the maintenance of the osmotic balance in the body.
4. Secretion of renin : The kidneys secrete renin which converts angiotensinogen into angiotensin. It stimulates the limbs of uriniferous tubules to absorb Na+ ions from blood.
5. Elimination of excess of salts : The kidneys elminate excess of salts from blood and thus help in regulating blood pressure.
6. Regulation of blood pressure : By controlling the fluid balance in the body, kidney nephron regulates blood pressure.
7. Homeostasis : As kidney removes various unwanted material from the blood, it helps in keeping the internal environment of the body constant.
8. Elimination of other substances : Kidney removes toxic substances like drugs, pigments etc. from the blood.